This is just a place to give my thoughts so that they do not eat me alive. I may post about my Life, music, sports or whatever I feel like.

My Top 20 rappers/Just how easy is this ish?


See what you created Bran and Matty? @ this tweet being the source of this post......"Hov, Black Thought, KRS One,Biggie, Rakim, Pac, Big Daddy Kane, Nas, 'Face, and a dude that has crept in..Phonte.about 18 hours ago from TweetDeck in reply "

When I was asked this question the other day I was quickly able to do the Top 5. The rest? Not so much. Not because I didn't have people in mind. I HAD PLENTY. Of course I forgot people which is why this post even exists. (See, I am human and unlike other mofos, I CAN ADMIT IT. I fucked up. Sue me...) I will also tell you now that if you come back and see me in another 10 years, positions may have changed. I will READILY admit that.

Okay first off, EVERYONE has their own Top 10, Top 5 or whatever rappers. This list is in NO WAY set out to discredit, ridicule, or whatever your list. Nor is that I don't respect those rappers on your list for all you SUPER SENSITIVE MOFOS out there. Unless I EXPLICITLY say that. (Yes, I am talking to YOU Papoose/Saigon/MC Some Shit lover) I just wanted to clear that up.

This list came about because I HONESTLY have a hard time with numbers lets say 6-20. Yes, there are THAT MANY MCS that I have liked over the years that could easily fit into those slots. Which is why I ALWAYS have a hard time with a Top 10, never mind a Top 20.

When I was younger, these lists were easy. Less MCs and less of a time period to deal with. I am in my 30's now so the time period has expanded. Despite popular belief, we have had some pretty fucking good hip hop grace our presence. Cats that I thought would ALWAYS be in my Top 10 have dropped down a notch as time went on. Some due to untimely deaths. Others do to 'falling off' and the newer cats having LONGER CAREERS. Wait a minute you say, quantity over quality right? Surely more doesn't mean BETTER? No, it does not. I am not talking about the Nellys of the World. I am speaking specifically to the Hovs and the Black Thoughts. Both have been in the game for a GOOD MINUTE. Quality work. People like that. Scarface. Even Em. So as these people cropped up, the list GREW. There was a time ( a long time ago) when I couldn't name more than 15 MCs that I loved. Not cause I didn't know 10 MCs but because I just didn't like 10 of 'em. I can do that now with my eyes closed and not even have to dip into MCs that came out before say 1998. See the point?

For those of you stuck in a time warp and can't see past your 'era' of music. Good luck with that. The end.












Anyhow, now I have felt the need to at least sit down and TRY to make a list of MCs in my Top 20. I hear you out there. THAT'S EASY. Okay, lets put a time limit on it. I am going to take 10 mins.


1. Jay-Z
2. Black Thought
3. KRS-One
4. Biggie
5. Rakim
6. Em
7. Pac
8. Nas

8b. Phonte
9. Big Daddy Kane
10. 'Face
11. Phife/Q-Tip (I give a slight edge to Phife but since they HE never truly put out a solo joint, we won't know. )
12. MC LYTE
13. Andre 3000
14. LL Cool J
15. Big Pun
16. Ice Cube
17. Slick Rick
18. Heavy D.
19. T.I.
20. Jada....I started to leave this one blank to prove my point......

....BECAUSE I have left off people like Method Man, EPMD, Big L,LAURYN HILL, Cannibus, Queen Latifah, TREACH, Mc Shan, EST, Steady B, Havoc, P, Snoop, Kurupt, The D.O.C and MANY MANY MANY MANY OTHERS. Old and new. Yeah, even YOU forgot about some of those people as you ticked down my list and criticized it, didn't you? I know. It can get REALLY interesting.


So I ask you, who are your Top 20 MCs? You need not use my criteria obviously. I just really want to know.

Note: As many of you know, I am big fans of Jeezy, T.I, 50 and a couple of others. I didn't put them on the list 'cause honestly I would like to see how I am feeling about their music in eight years or so from now. (It is almost that time believe it or not for T.I. and 50.) Actually, it IS TIME FOR T.I! Do the math. That's how he made the list. That is how I run my 'Top (whatever) list'. You may have different criteria. Remember, Em came out in '98 so he fits into the criteria I set for myself. I still have NO CLUE where Jeezy or Fif (and others) will fit on the list. Phonte is included in that list even though I believe the post up top gives a slight heads up as to where he might end up area wise on the list. @ the VERY BEGINNING. Anyway, I did not include them because they are a lil 'newer' even though they have catalogs (With great music might I add!)that are above and beyond those on my lists.

Now watch some disgruntled rapper/fan/friend come through and get mad AT MY LIST. To you I say simply this:

N#gga I am not here to CHANGE YOUR MIND. Do what you do. You have a list? You think you should BE ON THE LIST? Cooool. Post it up. I have no issues with you and your list. This here is MY SHIT THOUGH. Blog and all. I post what I wanna. Deal with it.

*I edited the list because after all of that, I forgot to physically type in Phonte's name...smh
Share:

0 comments:

Contact

November 18th, 2023. Still being able to have joy for others.

Her death never took that from me.  Losing my Mama and Daddy never took this from me.  Life hasn't taken this away from me. Bitter exes ...