This is just a place to give my thoughts so that they do not eat me alive. I may post about my Life, music, sports or whatever I feel like.

The Warehouse presents- An Evening Chat with Phonte Coleman...











 














I hope that this is not your first time here at that blog. If it is, you need to look to your LEFT, actually READ THE PARAGRAPH, click those links and catch up on how an abstract blogger like myself came to get to the point where this interview even HAPPENED. Now unlike a magazine, I have no editor to answer to. No limitation on how long the interviews should be. Or even WHO I SHOULD INTERVIEW. So I can do what I want. Gift and a curse. I have known this brother for awhile. Definitely wanted to get the interview but wanted to make sure I had DONE SOME WORK BEFOREHAND. I thought it would only be fair to bone up on my skills and see what EXACTLY my interview style would be. I think I found it. I just ask the questions I want like a regular conversation and we go from there. You will be able to see that from what you are about to read I think. It is technically an 'interview' but as of today I am christening the way I do it as a 'conversation'. As if you were asking the questions. Some of it will be serious. Some of it will be lighthearted. All of it will be real though.

This gentleman is a member of a current (and former member) of many conglomerates. North Carolina born and bred. Hip hop legend (He got 5 mics in The Source when they MATTERED! Respect that.) Started to do music with a cat OVER THE INTERNET SIGHT UNSEEN. Just the music alone bought them together. On a farewell tour with his OG member Big Rapper Pooh AND still doing shows with his current musical troupe, Foreign Exchange. Ladies and gentleman, Mr. Phonte "Phontigallo" Coleman.




(Courtesy of Titi 215....At The Roots Picnic 2010)




Phonte- Aiight, let's get it crackin...

Carolinaware- What up fam? Thanks for getting on with me. Off the top let me tell you how I am going to approach this. I am going to go into a serious question then into a fun question. Mix it up a little bit.

First thing I wanted to know about were any singing aspirations? Did you always have them?



 



Phonte- As for the singing...Ionno, man...I've always been a fan of soul music, even longer than I've been a fan of rap really. Soul/gospel/R&B was the first type of music I was exposed to... Singing? I never really took it seriously up until maybe a few years ago. Even today it feels funny when people refer to me, or when I refer to myself as a 'singer' or when people specifically request me to sing on something.

I just always saw my singing as a tool; nothing more, nothing less. I had songs in me that I wanted to get out, but never had anyone to sing em, so I just figured I'd do it myself. (Truthfully)if fate had played out any other way, I'd probably just be a songwriter and nothing else.


Carolinaware- I see this is going to go smoothly already. You are answering the questions before I can get them out. I remember you saying that you sang in church and things like that before in previous conversations we have had. I was just curious about that. Fun question up next:

Carolinaware- Carowinds or Six Flags over Georgia with assumptions you have been to both? lol


Phonte- Never been to Six Flags, but I'm a NC native so its Carowinds all day, homie. Thunder Road FTW.

Carolinaware- Ha ha! I figured it would be that for the win...

Phonte- Dude, now that you bring it up, I'm really thinking about how old those fuckin rollercoasters at Carowinds are! I mean, Thunder Road's gotta be damn near as old as I am.

Carolinaware- They are ancient!

Phonte- It was all rickety and shit back when I was a kid...lol

Exactly. I have taken MANY a vacation bible school/church/family trip to visit them old joints. Been around for years. I am wondering if they are even safe! lol

Phonte- Ya feel me?!!?! lol




Carolinaware- Indeed I do good sir. Indeed.

Tell me more about how you decided to start putting music out through Foreign Exchange if you can..I have the hardest time explaining to people just how you guys go about putting out the records, who the artists are that you are putting out and the like. So I would like that in your words...


Phonte- Nic and I officially started +FE Music with the release of Leave It All Behind in 2008. It was pretty much born out of our frustration with labels and all the bullshit that comes with being signed, so we decided to go for it ourselves and so far we've been able to stay profitable and keep our heads above water. The artists on +FE Music are myself and Nic,(Nicolay) who make up The Foreign Exchange, YahZarah, Zo!, Darien Brockington, and Median..

Darien and Median have yet to release projects yet, but we're working on that for next year.


Carolinaware- Yes, I heard Darien's new single Rain! Dope stuff. I just learned something...Didn't know Median was officially with you. Knew he was down..Didn't know..Should have though.




Phonte- Yeah, the Rain record is actually a joint that he did outside of the camp on his own, me and Nic didn't have anything to do with that one, but Darien's our family so we support him in whatever he does...







Carolinaware- Good! That is all we need to know. He has the support of his label and his family.

Phonte- Yessurr!


Carolinaware- Okay, back to the fun questions! Best burger in NC? Gimme four of them joints that I should frequent if I am not from the area or have never been.


Phonte- Shit.

Carolinaware- I'll make it easy..lmao...Or not

Phonte- Aiight let's see..in no particular order
Cook-Out
Char-Grill
Man....the spot in Greensboro on Lee St.
Yellow spot..I got it...
3. Beef Burger in Greensboro
4. The Dairy Ranch in Red Springs, NC

Carolinaware- Good places. Now I have a place I NEED TO VISIT. The Dairy Ranch. Heard good things but never been. Okay, another serious question. I saw you guys were at the Soul Picnic this year. How was that? I heard it rained but I know a lil rain doesn't stop a show..


Phonte- The Soul Picnic was a dope show, but I was sick and wasn't able to perform.
YahZarah held it down for us though and she did an incredible job!


Carolinaware- Damm...that I didn't know...I remember you were under the weather but didn't realize that you were sick even then. YahZarah always does the thing! But that explains to some people who probably wonder what happened or heard you weren't on stage. I am partial to Char's in Winston by the way...@ the hamburger list..





Fun question....Tell me about your FIRST TRIP OUT TO L.A.. Whether it be as a member of Little Brother, a child, an adult, as FE..Does not matter. I just want to hear the chronicles of a Southern boy out West for the first time.

Phonte- My first time out in LA was in 2002, I believe. ABB brought me, Pooh, and 9th out there for a promotional tour. I thought it was cool, but that shit was too far spread out for me. You spend your entire life in your car...lol

Carolinaware- Ha! I tell everyone that. You think you need a car down South? Sheit...Out there, you are DONE without a car.

Phonte- Yeah, dude..Out there, you are DONE without a car.


Carolinaware- You're not walking out there. Nope.

Phonte -Without a car in LA you are SO fucked BUT it was a good experience though! We

(Recorder goes off and we speak on some things that might make some of you blush so...)


Carolinaware- Sound about like the experiences I have heard/shared with others. Great place. Next serious question. Your favorites MCs coming up as a young man? The ones who made you want to get on the mic and do what you do?

Phonte- My main influence was Big Daddy Kane. To me, he was just THAT dude to be.
I also would say Q-Tip was a big influence as well as Black Thought from The Roots. Those three played a huge role in shaping me to be the MC that I am today.



Carolinaware- I can hear that influence as well. Kane was RAW WITH IT. Q-Tip was just great and Thought is one of my favorites of all time. Okay I have two more questions and then I am going to stop. Bear with me fam.

Phonte- lol....s'all good.


Carolinaware- Much appreciated 'Tay. I know you do a lot of touring in Europe. Give me your top five places (countries) I should DEFINITELY check out.

Phonte- Man..in no particular order

1. Amsterdam, Netherlands. For reasons other than weed and hoes...lol
Its just a cool city and the vibe is really laid back..

2. London, UK. Mainly because there's no language barrier and you can get around the city with (relatively) no problems and the music scene there is incredible.

3. Stockholm, Sweden. Incredibly gorgeous city and really pretty in the summertime. Also it is clean as well and the people are really nice from my experience.

4. Lisbon, Portugal. A beautiful city with friendly people and with hands down, some of the most drop dead beautiful women I've ever seen in my life.

5. Copenhagen, Denmark. Its a nice, quiet place but it has some decent nightlife
and the music scene there is pretty dope. There are some real creative cats out that way.


Carolinaware- Great list. The one that stood out the most was Libson. I have heard very little about it but what I have read has me intrigued to go. Now that you have said it, NOW I REALLY WANNA GO!

Last question. It is 4th and goal...You could kick the field goal, tie the game and go into OT. (Pro rules) Or you could go for the win..It is for the chip. What do you do? You going for it? Or are you playing it safe?

Phonte- I guess if its for the championship, I'd play it smart and go for the field goal. To me, its always better to live to play another down. That Hollywood ending shit only happens in movies.

Carolinaware- Spoken like a grown man with the experience to match. Oh I lied too. I have one more question..Sorta...Tell the people what you have coming out and when we can expect it...Please.

Phonte- s'all good, bruh. Well, we have the FE's 3rd album "Authenticity" coming out 10/12 and then my solo (mostly rap) album will drop next Fall. That's all on the plate for now...


Carolinaware- I would like to thank you once again for giving me a little of your time on this early August night (8/7/2010). 'Preciate ya folk!

Phonte- Fasho.











Unfamiliar with this artist? Shame on you first of all..No seriously, here is a video of them performing. His music is featured in the music box up for those of you viewing this from your computer. You can always click on some of the 'labels' at the end of the post and get familiar that way too.








Share:

2 comments:

Steph B-More said...

Cook Out is ALWAYS my first stop when I get to NC. ALWAYS. But good interview!!!

"C-Dot" said...

<3 Carowinds! Great interview :) Can't wait for FE's new jawn...love those ppl over there!

Contact

November 18th, 2023. Still being able to have joy for others.

Her death never took that from me.  Losing my Mama and Daddy never took this from me.  Life hasn't taken this away from me. Bitter exes ...