This is just a place to give my thoughts so that they do not eat me alive. I may post about my Life, music, sports or whatever I feel like.

My Peoples Pele Mallory makes the news. Activism. Watch and learn people.




She is on the blog somewhere...

Link:

Pele Mallory has applied to dozens of online career sites and filled out an endless number of applications, but says that career sites are flooded and that too many people are looking for the same jobs the same way.

“Everybody is surfing along the same waves to find a job,” she says. “I figured, if a panhandler is working, I need to do something, too. You just can’t sit and expect something to happen.”

We suggested that she try becoming a street performer, but she instead grabbed a few markers, a poster and dozens of copies of her resume, and marched to City Hall. If employers weren’t going to let her come to them, she’d be more than happy for them to come to her.

“The toughest part of being unemployed is the stress of seeing if you can stretch every penny you have,” she says. “That’s why you have to be creative.”

The 28-year-old from Northwest Philly had been employed through a temp agency, but didn’t like how the company would receive a cut of her paycheck if she found a job. “That defeats the purpose,” says the California native. “There’s gotta be some kind of opportunity somewhere.”

Mayor Nutter says there’s tons of opportunity in the city, touting the city’s Way to Work Philadelphia!, a stimulus-funded program, which he launched May 19.

He announced Thursday at MEE Productions—one of the more than 100 participants of the program—that nearly 2,700 Philadelphians have found jobs.

Mallory attended Nutter’s visit and heard him speak about the opportunity that she’s been searching for for months.

“It was awesome. Mayor Nutter showed the program works,” she said. She even connected with the project manager for WTWP.

“They have the proof in the pudding,” although she also noted it might be nothing different than other things she’s tried, too. “It’s all about the individual. If you’re hungry, you have to do what it takes to eat. You got to be hungry for a job.”
Share:

0 comments:

Contact

November 18th, 2023. Still being able to have joy for others.

Her death never took that from me.  Losing my Mama and Daddy never took this from me.  Life hasn't taken this away from me. Bitter exes ...