This is just a place to give my thoughts so that they do not eat me alive. I may post about my Life, music, sports or whatever I feel like.

Another installment of The WareHouse's "Chat Series"....The imcomparable @JimmieAllen....





On Saturday, I took a trip down to Cape Henlopen High School to take in the 1st Annual Hollywood Invades the Beach Celebrity Basketball Game.  The game was hosted by the local charity Duffy’s Hope Inc. 
The event featured the likes of actor Wesley Jonathan from the movie Roll Bounce, Indianapolis Colts corner back Justin Tryon, Washington Wizards star forward Josh Howard, American Idol Season Seven runner-up David Archuleta, Actress/BET personality Alesha Renee, and local artist and American Idol Season 10 top 40 finalist Jimmie Allen.







In a hotly contested game the Duffy’s Hope Celebrity All-Star Team would edge a local assembly of former all-state athletes from throughout the Delmarva region 59-58.  Just after the final whistle I saw a familiar face in Cliffvon Howell, CEO B.U.B Entertainment Group.  With him was one of the stars for the game (Jimmie Allen).  Fresh off a 21-point performance, including a game changing 3-pointer which would give the Celebrity Team their first lead of the game with 39 seconds remaining in regulation I got this interview with the recording star.



Not sure who Jimmie Allen is, well four years ago he seemed to be on the cusp of breaking out as one of the biggest names on the music seen to come out of the “302.”  The young man was fresh off an independently released self-titled album.  The lead single “Perfect Stanger” which featured his fellow DSU college-mate and performing artist K-HOC debuted on BET’s 106 & Park’s New Joint of the Day, and he won the hearts of the crowd at New York’s famed Apollo Theatre for two weeks in a row.  



Jimmie was touring the country and opening for some of the game’s hottest r&b acts at the time.  But just as quickly as Jimmie Allen was ascending to the top, He was gone! 
  

TWH: Jimmie Allen, what’s good?  I saw you ballin’ out there.

Jimmie Allen: Yes sir, I had to show ‘em I still got it.  The game was tight there at the end, but anybody that knows me, knows I want to win.  This is home for me, I graduated from this school, and the stars from the local team (Tommy Rushin, Dwight Young and Bobby Leggins) were All-Staters from this school too.  That last three-pointer was big.  I had to hit it.  When I got the ball, I knew I was taking that shot.  We won so I’m feeling real good right now.

TWH:  Man, you were real hot in these parts a few years back, then it just seemed like you dropped off the map.  Then I heard you moved away and have a different sound.  Talk to me about that, are you still doing R&B what’s the situation?


Jimmie Allen:  I never dropped off the map.  I was always an artistic dude and music has always been my passion.  But I knew years ago that I wasn’t like most of my friends that liked this kind of music, or that kind of music.  I like all music.  I love heavy guitar more than anything, but I like all types of music.  Once my career started taking off, I would always sing songs I had written and people would look at me like “I didn’t know you do songs like that,” or they would say “you’re really talented to be able to jump music genres like that.”  I would always leave those conversations wondering why people are so quick to put you in a box when you are a musician.  What I was doing was being true to my passion for music.  Just as quickly as I can sing the latest song from Trey Songz, I can also sing a song by brooks & Dun (laughing).  


THW: So what’s with the talk of a new sound?


Jimmie Allen: My sound is new to a lot of the folks that came to know my name back then because they were listening to my first release which was an R&B album.  I have grown and I have evolved as a musician.  When I was trying to get a record deal, I entered each meeting, each audition as Jimmie Allen and stayed true to my passion.  The result was a record deal with Interscope to record under the pop format.  That’s fine with me because I don’t believe in artist being in boxes.


THW: Tell my followers a few things to check for from Jimmie Allen right now:


Jimmie Allen: Let’s see, my current single “I Like the Girls” is available on itunes or fans can download it for free from my website (http://www.jimmieallenmusic.com).  It was just picked up by the Hollister retail chain; it’s being played in all Hollister stores across the country all summer.  That was a real good look for me.  My song “Beautiful Day” is the theme song for Alex & Ani’s summer jewelry collection.  I played in the movie “Country Strong” with Gwyneth Paltrow and Tim McGraw, I had a brief part in the movie Transformers 2 and check for me in the upcoming season of “Gossip Girl” airing on the CW Television Network.  I’m writing for a few artists.  I’m really excited about some work I’m doing for a big time country artist named Rodney Atkins.  Rodey has had 5 #1s in the last three years.  To be working on his project is a real honor. I’m just expanding my brand man.  I’m just riding the momentum of American Idol.  I know the produced version of the show didn’t show me very much before I was eliminated, but the industry folks definitely got wind of my talent and I’m thankful for that opportunity.


THW: Speaking of American Idol, The show showed you reppin’ Nashville, Tennessee.  Plenty of a people back here were wondering about that because we consider Jimmie Allen as our own.  Speak on that.


Jimmie Allen:  Man, when Delaware claims me, it makes me feel real good man.  I have tremendous love for my peeps in DE.  I just had to relocate to further my career.  Nashville has been a real good look for me professionally.  DE should always know this is my home, this is where I’m from.  


THW: Are there any artist you’d like to work with that you haven’t to date?


Jimmie Allen: Absolutely!  The band Born Republic, Rob Thomas and Keri Hilson.  I think they are all so talented.


TWH: What was the best thing about playing in this event for charity?


Jimmie Allen: The best thing was being able to support a local charity that is doing something for the kids.  After that I’d say it was being able to come back home and let everybody know I’m still the same dude and play in front of my hometown crowd.  

Hey you can keep tabs on me by visiting my website jimmieallenmusic.com
·        twitter.com/jimmieallen



Share:

0 comments:

Contact

November 18th, 2023. Still being able to have joy for others.

Her death never took that from me.  Losing my Mama and Daddy never took this from me.  Life hasn't taken this away from me. Bitter exes ...