This is just a place to give my thoughts so that they do not eat me alive. I may post about my Life, music, sports or whatever I feel like.

(Video) Google announces Jellybean 'officially' X my Galaxy Nexus purchase...




My Current Homescreen 






Courtesy of the good folks at CNET... (Thank you..)




I was going to write about my new phone purchase but then I got this bit of news so I decided to combine the two in a way that I only I could...


First Jellybean..

The new platform features improved performance with better touch responsiveness, higher frame rates for animations, improved notifications, a completely redesigned search function among other things.  Looks like 'the Android' version of Siri (Which was here first...but poorly pushed IMHO) will get even more improvements. More interaction. Better directions.


Looks like the Voice command will be available offline as well. Which is huge.


The camera app, which is probably my only 'real complaint' about my phone is set to be improved as well. It works a little differently than the one I had on my Thumderbolt and it looks like it will model itself more after that with instant access to the picture you have just taken and the like. Right now, there is a little 'box' on the side that you have to click to even SEE YOUR PICTURE. Not horrible but it could be better. Looks like this update will address that. 

Looks like my device (Galaxy Nexus), the Nexus S and the  Motorola XOOM will get it around mid-July..Hopefully.






The Galaxy Nexus: 



My Current Homescreen 



Well I got it on Saturday night so I have only had it about four days (at press time). The verdict so far?


Here is what I feel like I did. I basically traded a better camera (8 megapixels on the Thunderbolt's back camera), a data card and the ability to play music 'offline' without using Google Cloud for the ability to have 'timely software updates, no data card, COMPLETE BACK UP CAPABILITIES (As I could NEVER get my 'Bolt to totally sync up with Google via my pictures and the like) and a lighter feeling phone. That's probably the best way I could describe it. 

Things I will miss:

I just said it. The camera. Good thing I actually know HOW TO TAKE PICTURES though. 5 MEGAPIXELS will do. I do know that the 8 mega compensated for some things but that just means I will have to use what I know now more than ever. Which is fine. I took some test shots in the store and have fooled around with it enough. The 5 mega is more than sufficient. The front camera thing is a 'wash' to me 'cause it is a FRONT FACING CAMERA. There aren't that many phones that have a front facing camera that are 'all love' anyway. So I'm not pressed about it. Again..get in good lighting and use the right angles. @ how I'm gonna approach that. 


The thing I will miss the most is not having to use Google Music UNLESS I WANTED TO. Don't get me wrong, I clearly liked Google Music. I had it on the Thunderbolt. It was when I was working out that I had issues with the 'cloud' thing. It would go in and out. Sometimes it would freeze. No such issues if you are pulling music from the phone's SD card. Or at least there are minimal issues. So I will miss that. It also hindered the 'transfer' process but LUCKILY THAT IS JUST A ONE TIME DEAL so I can get over that....Speaking of the transfer process..lets get into what I love about the phone...


What I love about the Nexus:

Timely updates. As you can see, I just wrote about JellyBean. I was stuck on Gingerbread on my Thunderbolt. The Thunderbolt probably won't get ICE CREAM SANDWICH UNTIL SEPTEMBER. Maybe. By that time, my Nexus will have Jellybean HOPEFULLY. Get where I am going with this? So yes, the 'updates' are a big factor to me. I have toiled long enough with a 'just launched' phone. I've done that my past two phones. That is why I didn't wait for the new Galaxy S 3. Pretty sure it is going to be an awesome phone. Also pretty sure that there will be issues. As there are with all phones. This phone that I have currently is enough for me. I no longer have the 'got to have the LATEST PHONE' itch. Give me one that works well and will be updated timely and I am good. 

I love the way it actually SYNCS UP WITH GOOGLE. I can access ALL OF MY STUFF FINALLY. Not get an app for this. Or use this app for that. It is ALL THERE. My photos. My numbers. My blog. Everything syncs up perfectly. I don't have to 'hop around' to get to things either. Sharing is SO MUCH EASIER ON THIS PHONE. The screen is PRETTY just like it was on the 'Bolt and my Otterbox actually has a screen protector which my other one did not (Although to compensate, they sunk it in a bit so the screen was never in any real danger. I know...I dropped it a couple of times. Held up well..) These things shouldn't come to me as any surprise because it is a 'Google' phone though. I'm just not used to things syncing up so well so it is kind of nice.

The ability to screen shot. 

I love this. No rooting. No 'special app'. Just side button/volume down...BOOM. Like it should be. There are so many 'pictures' that I have wanted to take that involved my screen that I no longer have to wait for. Big deal for me personally as I social network, blog, etc. I can create my own images. I like that freedom and  you will probably see the proof in that when I post those pictures here on the blog.   


The interface..

I like it. It is smooth and basic. To the point. Fairly easy to navigate. Doesn't hang too much. 


The overall verdict: 


For now I am very satisfied with the purchase. It was one I was looking to make for awhile. I thought of getting a Razr but I'm not a fan of Motorola (Nextels for YEARS) and I didn't want to get another HTC phone (although I didn't hate it..). With the impending release of JellyBean, it looks like I made an even better choice than I first thought. Very happy with what I have so far. Haven't tried video calling or anything on the phone though. So there are a few more things that I need to do before I can call the purchase a COMPLETE SUCCESS. I am doing something that I had NOT DONE WITH MY OTHER PHONE RIGHT NOW THOUGH. I'm writing this blog post from it. It was VERY DIFFICULT TO DO THE EDITING, THE POSTING OF THE PICTURES AND THE VIDEO CODING ON THE THUNDERBOLT. It is not that hard to do it on here. Copying and pasting is much easier and it just moves better.  

Share:

0 comments:

Contact

November 18th, 2023. Still being able to have joy for others.

Her death never took that from me.  Losing my Mama and Daddy never took this from me.  Life hasn't taken this away from me. Bitter exes ...