This is just a place to give my thoughts so that they do not eat me alive. I may post about my Life, music, sports or whatever I feel like.

(Words) ...A short story about my Grandmother & one of my uncles..Now you know if I'm telling it...

 ....there is a reason.

 No picture today folks..Sorry.


I'm going to share a VERY brief story.

I actually was back in North Carolina to attend the funeral of James Largent Isbell*** nee my Uncle Chuckie (January 24th 2000) in that lil sleepy town in Caldwell County that I have referenced here before and my grandmother (My mother's Mom) was staying with my parents. There was a horrible Nor'Easter that was developing but I needed to 'get back up top' to attend to some business. Now all the while during the days of the process of the funeral my Dad's brother's funeral, my Grandmother was telling ANYONE who would listen to enjoy her now. Now most dismissed what she was saying and it wasn't like she was in failing health although she had seen eight decades on this Earth and was two shy of seeing nine of them (Yes, I am going to make you do the math. Math is more than just 'weight on a fishscale..' You'll be aight over there Einstein. Do the math...)

I told you the story would be brief.

So the night I was to leave from Holly Springs, as I had arrived on VERY SHORT NOTICE and hadn't had a proper chance to prepare my car, I had a flat. I contemplated putting on the spare and just getting back on 'em but was talked down by my Father. He told me he would take me to Knightsdale to get four new ones if I didn't put his granddaughter (the now 13 year old) up the road on that tire. So I'm doing what young folks do, ignoring my Father's request and preparing to put this spare on all while figuring out just where I was going to stop to get a new tire in the morning when my Grandmother comes out to the garage and drops THIS ON ME.....

"Look here you Black Jew*, I'mma tell you this one time... You might wanna come on back inside and enjoy the presence of your grandmother 'cause while I may look well, I am about to your Pop Pop sooner than any of you know. You can ride back up the road tonight if you like but you will be wasting gas because you will just have to turn RIGHT BACK AROUND.. "


She turned right back around and went inside. I closed my trunk and followed. Had a good time that night. She played with my daughter and talked to her and we continued on with our 'playful arguing'** She went to sleep that night......


 She never woke back up. She was gone. Just like that. No fanfare. No doctor. No complaints. We found her the next morning as I was going to depart. Needless to say, that didn't happen. @ me leaving. 


Why am I telling you all this story today. Well, for one because I feel like it. It is on my mind. Two, it is probably gonna help SOMEONE. Someone I probably will NEVER KNOW. Three, I am telling you this SPECIFICALLY TO SAY THAT IF I (OR ANYONE ELSE YOU KNOW THAT YOU FEEL LIKE WILL 'ALWAYS BE AROUND') brings you some particular joy or positivity, enjoy it. 


I think you can 'fill in the rest' can't you???? 

See, I knew you were smart! I knew you could do it. Stop taking folks for granted folks. Young or old. Doesn't matter. I see a lot of you out here who honor those you love with T-Shirts and shit but when they were here YOU TOOK THEM FOR GRANTED. Stop it. Now I am about to get up and take someone to the store who I know is going to take me to EVERY STORE KNOWN TO MAN even though she SWEARS she only will be going this one time. I know better. I also know I may never get to take her to the store on another crowded Christmas holiday stretch. So off I go. Love you Mom....  



*Compared to all of my cousins who had never been above the Mason-Dixon line, I by FAR SPOKE THE FASTEST IN MY FAMILY AND THUS HAD APTLY EARNED THE NICKNAME..."Black Jew"...Meaning fast, slick and intelligent but deadly. - Per my Nan Mama aka my Grandmother.... 

**Family that is reading this KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT... I loved her and she loved me. Our birthdays were one day apart. Needless to say, yeah....We used to get a lil acid tongued with the convos but it was ALL LOVE. Trust me. She would often tell folks that herself.

***  I gave reference to this uncle before actually. Some of you hustlers from DE and NC need to pay homage. He is your OG. TRUST ME WHEN I TELL YOU. Here's a hint.. Radiator.. I-95...major weight... non stop driving....Miami... Pioneer in that town... You do the math. Especially you Wilmington cats. He is one of your forefathers. Told ya'll you didn't know your own history didn't I? It is why I am not interested in hearing 'your stories'. I know a real live nigga that did that not with the hope for a record deal but just to survive... First. I might let you in on the rest of it one day. One day.... He was also someone who told me never to fuck with it. It wasn't worth it. Even with all the money and the girls. He told me that in private one day. I don't think anyone else really knows that. Until now.
Share:

0 comments:

Contact

November 18th, 2023. Still being able to have joy for others.

Her death never took that from me.  Losing my Mama and Daddy never took this from me.  Life hasn't taken this away from me. Bitter exes ...