This is just a place to give my thoughts so that they do not eat me alive. I may post about my Life, music, sports or whatever I feel like.

Musical Architecture...: Studio Campfire Stories: "Driving" (feat. Sy Smith)

Musical Architecture...: Studio Campfire Stories: "Driving" (feat. Sy Smith)


Here is a part of it....click the link above to read the rest on Zo!'s blog....This is the kinda stuff I want to know. How the songs were crafted. The bumps and bruises along the way. The backstory. I dig this type of stuff...


Studio Campfire Stories: "Driving" (feat. Sy Smith)

It seems as though all of the stories for ...just visiting three begin with a phone conversation between Phonte and I. Welp, I guess with that being said...........


I was having a conversation with Phonte one day...... and he was telling me about a recent connection he made with a certain well-known female vocalist who essentially made it known that she was down to be on the album. Now knowing how things can change on a dime in music without much warning, I decided very early that I wasn't gonna get too excited until I was listening to a final version of a song with her vocals on it. A few days later, Phonte sent me a folder of four joints, which included the song "Driving" by Everything But the Girl. I'll admit, I remembered the song VERY vaguely... BUT out of the four that he sent, this is the one that both of us gravitated toward. Technically speaking, when I listened to the song and heard it bounce back and forth basically between two or three chords, I thought to myself, this is gonna be a pretty easy song to redo... This shouldn't be a problem at all - That is, until I listened closer and heard about 593 layers of synth in the joint. It seemed like every time I listened, a brand new synth patch would mysteriously appear - the track was VERY deceiving. Even when I sent what I thought was the final music to Phonte... he hit me back right back, "Ayo... There's a synth line that you missed. Go to (insert minute mark value here) and check it out..." DAMN!! I thought I GOT all of um!!! *Angrily opens Pro Tools file back up*

Share:

0 comments:

Contact

November 18th, 2023. Still being able to have joy for others.

Her death never took that from me.  Losing my Mama and Daddy never took this from me.  Life hasn't taken this away from me. Bitter exes ...