This is just a place to give my thoughts so that they do not eat me alive. I may post about my Life, music, sports or whatever I feel like.

Rape Victims denied insurance??? Say what?

Oh this just...I mean....Man GTFOH with this mess.

So a woman in Fort Lauderdale, Florida (Oh I have your attention now huh?)was basically drugged and taken advantage of by two men. She reported it and was given anti AIDS meds. Insurance took care of it and all of that. So she is cool right? WRONG- Charlie Murphy. Months later, after seeking new health insurance (and subsequently dropping the old coverage or losing it), she faced a whole new set of challenges. They denied her insurance because she had been issued the anti AIDS medicine.

I guess it 'makes sense' but it is REALLY FOUL. I mean, here she was doing her civic duty to report the assault, 'cause that is what you are supposed to do. She is medically cleared (yes, I know that it take up to year or longer to show up. I get that) and WAS INSURED at the time of that she was given medicine for the very disease that had her taking the medicine to begin with. Here's the article. It is a lot more clear and concise than I am being right now. Please excuse me as I am BAFFLED as to how this allowed to happen and just how do the people in charge thinks THIS HELPS.


http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/21/insurance-companies-rape-_n_328708.html


A piece from the article:


Christina Turner feared that she might have been sexually assaulted after two men slipped her a knockout drug. She thought she was taking proper precautions when her doctor prescribed a month's worth of anti-AIDS medicine.

Only later did she learn that she had made herself all but uninsurable.

Turner had let the men buy her drinks at a bar in Fort Lauderdale. The next thing she knew, she said, she was lying on a roadside with cuts and bruises that indicated she had been raped. She never developed an HIV infection. But months later, when she lost her health insurance and sought new coverage, she ran into a problem.

Turner, 45, who used to be a health insurance underwriter herself, said the insurance companies examined her health records. Even after she explained the assault, the insurers would not sell her a policy because the HIV medication raised too many health questions. They told her they might reconsider in three or more years if she could prove that she was still AIDS-free.


Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/21/insurance-companies-rape-_n_328708.html
Share:

0 comments:

Contact

November 18th, 2023. Still being able to have joy for others.

Her death never took that from me.  Losing my Mama and Daddy never took this from me.  Life hasn't taken this away from me. Bitter exes ...